GIS is at the core of many of our activities. Lutra offer support to organisations looking to set up spatial data infrastructure (SDI) or migrate their existing SDI to open source GIS. We also offer GIS analysis and bespoke software development services.
Bringing geographic information together in one place has a number of benefits:
- Simplifies data management, access control and backups
- Easy integration with OGC web servers, simplifying INSPIRE compliance web mapping
- Allows advanced queries, adding value to existing data
- Reduces likelihood of duplicating or loosing data
Our SDI solutions are based on PostGIS which offers excellent integration with QGIS and all common OGC web servers.
Switching to open source GIS gives wider access to GIS for staff while reducing ongoing licensing costs. Open source GIS offers maximum flexibility and freedom of supplier.
Migrations typically involve:
- Defining your requirements
- Existing workflows
- In-house tools / extensions used
- Assessing a solution and identifying potential gaps
- Developing additional features as required
- Advising on implementation and transition
- Migrating your data, cartographic styles and templates
- Targeted training
- Providing ongoing support and maintenance
Any bespoke tools or extensions used in your current workflow can be migrated to QGIS plugins as required. See our Software Development page for more details.
As consultants we use GIS to tackle a wide range of real-world problems for our clients.
Some examples include:
- Flood risk modelling and mapping
- Ecological connectivity, corridor and habitat modelling
- PV deployment optimisation
- Route optimisation
- Retail location analysis
- Soil fertility maps
- Calculating amenity service areas based on drive-time